- Looking for ways to unblock a drain in your Canberra home?
- Do you think human hair is blocking up you drain pipes?
- Learn how to unblock a drain with a plunger!
To unblock a bathroom, laundry or kitchen sink using a plunger:
- Remove the pop up drain from the sink (if you have one).
- Wet a tea-towel and use it to seal up the sink overflow drain (if applicable)
- Apply vasoline to the bottom lip of the plunger.
- Place the plunger over the drain hole.
- Run water in the sink so it covers a few cm’s of the plunger.
- Now, plunge up and down several time in quickly – you should feel a bit of ‘suction or resistance’.
- Now lift the plunger up out of the sink to allow the water to drain. Note if the water now drains more freely?
- Repeat steps 4-6 a few times.
If using a plunger doesn’t clear the drain, remove the P-trap from under the sink and clean it out by hand.
Mr Pipes ACT is a Local Canberra plumber who specialises in residential plumbing solutions. We do everything from leaking taps to full plumbing renovations.
Note: this page contains general advice only and Mr Pipes ACT highly recommends the use of a licenced and experienced plumber for all plumbing related work – Mr Pipes ACT accepts no responsibility or liability for any injury, loss or damage to person or property as a result of directions followed on this website.