On this page:
- On this page you will learn how to stop a toilet from running constantly
- Why is my toilet running non-stop? – Canberra Plumber explains
- Useful tips on saving water and stop your toilet from running in your Canberra home!
Affordable Canberra Plumber
RUNNING TOILET? LEARN HOW TO STOP IT!
So you have a running toilet and you need to find out how to stop a toilet from running?
First of all you need to make a decision if you feel confident you can actually fix the running toilet problem without causing further costly damage?
I take it if you are reading on then you feel confident in your own ability to fix the running/hissing toilet yourself!
Steps to fixing a running toilet in your Canberra home:
- Turn off the water tap at the wall of the toilet.
- Take the lid off the toilet tank and place it in a safe place.
- Check that the water level isn’t too high as to let water run down the overflow. This is one of the primary causes of a running toilet. If this is happening, then you need to adjust the toilet water tank float level. Rotate the knob anti-clockwise to adjust the water level in the toilet tank. This may take a few adjustments to achieve the correct water level which is around 10mm from the top of the overflow.
- If the water level appears to be correct, then you will need to clean the rubber diaphragm inside water level adjustment. Remove the cap and you should see a rubber diaphram. These end up clogged with soot and grit and become unable to seal correctly and therefore make the toilet run continuously.
What are the other causes for a running toilet?
- Sticky Flush Valve.
- Float Ball Issues
- Sticking tankball or flapper valve
- Ballcock problems
Mr Pipes Highly recommends the use of a qualified and licenced plumber for all running toilet repairs. Mr Pipes is your local Canberra plumber specialising in residential plumbing repairs and installations.
Note: this page contains general advice only and Mr Pipes ACT highly recommends the use of a licenced and experienced plumber for all plumbing related work – Mr Pipes ACT accepts no responsibility or liability for any injury, loss or damage to person or property as a result of directions followed on this website.